Make smarter use of the tags in Vantage with the Vantage Smart Tags plugin. The plugin will let you convert all multiple choice fields like drop-down, checkbox and radio buttons as well as location components (like country, state, city) into listing or event tags, so you only have relevant tags that either you have created in the form of field values, or they are location names that are supplied by the Google Geocoder API. Also turning the right kind of fields into tags will give your site a big SEO advantage!
Disadvantages of a “Tags Input” Text-box Field
When you have a free text input available that generates tags in your website, chances are that they are going to go out of hand one day. There is no limit to how many tags can a poster add, also they generally put long phrases, or do not use commas at all to separate tags, and nowadays people even put hashtags(!), other common occurrences are misspellings, wrong suffixing (for example teacher/teaching) and synonyms (two words that mean the same thing). The result: within a short frame of time you could have hundreds of tags that will be used in at the most one ad, and even that number will become zero once the ad expires! Here are some of the realistic examples of tags people usually input:
- tution in daytime, tutor required immediately (using long phrases few else will use, tution and daytime could have been separate tags)
- teacher bangkok (same as above, but apparently they were meant to be separate tags, but the comma (,) was forgotten)
- teacher and teaching as two different tags
- #tutor #math (hashtags, thanks to Twitter, and no comma again)
What is the solution?
The solution to this problem is simple. Use Vantage Smart Tags instead to convert the multiple choice fields (i.e. drop-down, checkbox, radio) into tags for your listings and events. For example, if you have a tutor directory website, in which you have a drop-down or a radio field called “Preferred Time” with options “Morning” and “Evening”, you can convert it to ad tag using the plugin, and all the new listing will either be tagged “Morning” or “Evening”. Now the students looking for morning tuitions can click on the tag called “Morning” and see all the tutors available in the morning. In the same way, if there is a checkbox field with all the subjects as options, a listing can be tagged in multiple subjects when the tutor posts it, and the result is each subject has its own tag page listing only the tutors that teach that particular subject. Simple, isn’t it?
Location Names as Tags?
That’s right! Didn’t you always want your users to find all listings or events within a location on the same page? Vantage Smart Tags will allow you to convert up to six location components (like country, state, districts, city, etc) into tags, that Google will reverse geocode from the location entered by listing owners. You can even test the locations in the settings page by entering sample addresses and checking what Google returns against each component to help you select the most relevant ones.
Advantages of Using Vantage Smart Tags
- SEO friendly – each tag page will have relevant listings or events, hence you can proudly display your tags in widgets, menus, etc!
- Location pages – you can add countries / states / cities to your menus and your users can find geocoded listings or events on the same page. Test location results before deciding what you want as a tag.
- Limited number of tags – The maximum number of tags is the sum total of all the value in the fields you convert to tags plus the number of Google recognised locations that you have selected to be converted.
- No misspellings, hashtags or unnecessary mistakes – Since all the tags come from options that you have created or Google has supplied, no need to remove spammy tags every few days.
Note: Supports Vantage 4.0 and above. If you are running Vantage 3.x, please email us with your AppThemes username and we will send you the older version of the plugin. Please bear in mind that we only provide support for current versions of our extensions.
- Download the Plugin zip file vantage-smart-tags.zip
- Open WP Admin dashboard -> Plugins -> Add new -> Upload
Upload and activate the Plugin from Plugins page.
- Go to Vantage -> Vantage Smart Tags page
- Select the fields / location components that you want to convert to tags.
From February 2015, support will only be available via email from our email address .
Before you email us, please make sure you have browsed/searched through product forum for the answer to your question, and have read through the Support FAQs below:
- What kind of support is offered with a purchased product?
Your product purchase includes one year of access to premium support via email and one year or free updates. Beyond that, you will need to renew your subscription year on year for around 30% of the product price. Support covers issues such as bug fixes (if any) under normal operation, how to use basic product features, very basic WordPress help, and help with very basic theme customisaton. If you need more advanced modifications please consider hiring a developer to do it for you.
- Will you provide help with small modifications?
If you need to do small modifications, you may get help from us as long as they are reasonable in number and nature. If you have a lot of such modifications, please consider paid developer help.
- What kind of help would be unreasonable to ask?
This is not an easy question to answer. We are here to ensure that the product you purchased works as intended by us and serves its purpose on your website. That means if it doesn’t work for you, we can step in and help you with it. However, it is when there are no issues with the functioning of the product and all you want is help with modification, that demands start getting unreasonable.
As mentioned before, we don’t mind helping with modifications, but we also expect you to have tried everything to do it yourself. In other words, we expect you to have tried all the settings in your theme, ensured that the issue relates to the product in question, searched through legacy product support forum, and looked around on Google for the answer to your questions before approaching us. Please bear in mind that one theme, one child theme and a few plugins can get you only so far, and you will probably need to make changes to the code of your website to add functionality, change design and personalise it. In case of too many modifications, we will politely ask you to seek paid help.
- I am using one of your child themes. I am having an issue with it.
Please make sure the issue is really with the child theme by activating the parent theme and checking if the problem gets solved. Also please make sure you have tested all the settings in parent theme and child theme, sometimes the answer is right in there! Send us an email if the issue still persists.
- I am using one of your child themes. I need help with customisation.
As a pre-requisite, you are going to need a basic understanding of HTML & CSS to start customising the layout and style of your theme. To dig deeper PHP knowledge, specifically to WordPress, will help as well. The WordPress Codex is a great place to start learning. For CSS changes related to text colour, background colour, fonts, etc, please consider using the Firebug extension. A simple Google search returns many good text/video tutorials.
- Do you offer paid WordPress development services?
Yes we do depending on our work schedule. You can always run your requirements by us via email.
- MAJOR UPDATE: Made compatible with Vantage 4.x
- Initial release version (at the time of Vantage 3.0.1)