Add user geolocation to your Vantage directory site!
Mobile device users do not need to know where they are! Their location will be automatically detected and used to populate the location search box. If they are on the move they can click the target icon at any time to update their location.
The plugin also saves desktop users from needing to manually enter their location and, as the plugin uses the same Google Geocoding service as Vantage, all dynamically generated locations will be recognised as valid addresses for location searches.
Updated: You can now choose any image to use as the ‘locate’ icon!
The User Locator plugin adds the following user geolocation functionality to Vantage:
- ‘Location’ field is added to the user – this can be edited on the Vantage edit profile page or from the WordPress user profile panel.
On each page load the following happens:
- If a user has specified their location in their profile it is used to populate the ‘Near’ search box.
- If the user is not logged in or has not set their location, then the users location (latitude and longitude coordinates) is grabbed using html5 geolocation.
- Their location is then reverse geocoded to attempt to get a human readable address. Update: you can now the select the component/format of the output address. Choose to display the the full address, town, postal code etc. If this is successful the address is displayed in the ‘Near’ box. If geocoding fails to get a human readable address the lat,lng coordinates are placed in the ‘Near’ box so the search results will still be relevant to their current location.
- If at any time the ‘Near’ box is already populated from a current search this is respected and nothing is changed.
- A small icon (choose any image to use as the icon!) is also inserted into the ‘Near’ search box. Clicking on this at any time will initiate geolocation and update the ‘Near’ box accordingly.
- Download the plugin from AppThemes.
- Upload the vantage-user-locator.zip plugin file using via WordPress or FTP.
- Click the Activate Plugin link.
- That’s it!
Product support is available via e-mail at the following address:
We try our hardest to reply within one working day.
To make it easier to reply to your support requests please include enough detail to enable us to replicate the issue you are having.
Before requesting product support please:
- Ensure you have read any relevant documentation or support information.
- Ensure you are using the latest version of WordPress and the latest version of the appropriate plugin/theme.
- Try changing any appropriate settings to see if the problem persists.
- Disable any caching plugins or software to see if the problem persists.
- Try disabling other plugins or switching to a different theme to see if the problem persists.
- Attempt to replicate the problem with a clean install of WordPress and a clean install of the theme/plugin you are having a problem with.
- Responding to questions regarding the use of the plugin/theme.
- Fixing bugs.
- Where possible fixing compatibility issues with other themes/plugins.
- Providing updates to ensure compatibility with new versions of WordPress and relevant parents themes or plugins.
Support does not cover:
- Customisation or modification of the product.
- Support for third-party plugins or themes.
- Feature requests are welcome but not necessarily covered by product support.
- 0.24 – Fixed bug clearing location text input.
- 0.23 – Translation ready.
- 0.16 – Added support for any image as location icon.
- 0.15 – Minor bug fix.
- 0.14 – Minor bug fix.
- 0.13 – Added address output format option.
- 0.12 – Fixed bug to improve location accuracy.
- 0.11 – Minor fix to ensure only 1 copy of Google Maps API is ever loaded.
- 0.1 – Initial release.