Make smarter use of the ad tags in ClassiPress with the The ACF :: Smart Tags plugin. The plugin will let you convert all multiple choice fields like drop-down, checkbox and radio into ad tags, so you only have relevant ad tags that you yourself have created in the form of field values. Also turning the right kind of fields into tags will give your site a big SEO advantage!
Disadvantages of a “Tags Input” Text-box Field
When you have a free text input available that generates tags in your website, chances are that they are going to go out of hand one day. There is no limit to how many tags can a poster add, also they generally put long phrases, or do not use commas at all to separate tags, and nowadays people even put hashtags(!), other common occurrences are misspellings, wrong suffixing (for example teacher/teaching) and synonyms (two words that mean the same thing). The result: within a short frame of time you could have hundreds of tags that will be used in at the most one ad, and even that number will become zero once the ad expires!
Here are some of the realistic examples of tags people usually input:
- tution in daytime, tutor required immediately (using long phrases few else will use, tution and daytime could have been separate tags)
- teacher bangkok (same as above, but apparently they were meant to be separate tags, but the comma (,) was forgotten)
- teacher and teaching as two different tags
- #tutor #math (hashtags, thanks to Twitter, and no comma again)
What is the solution?
The solution to this problem is simple. Remove the “Tags input” field from your form layouts, and use ACF :: Smart Tags instead to convert the multiple choice fields (i.e. drop-down, checkbox, radio) into ad tags. For example, if you have a tutor classifieds website, in which you have a drop-down or a radio field called “Preferred Time” with options “Morning” and “Evening”, you can convert it to ad tag using the plugin, and all the new ads will either be tagged “Morning” or “Evening”. Now the students looking for morning tuitions can click on the tag called “Morning” and see all the tutors available in the morning. In the same way, if there is a checkbox field with all the subjects as options, an ad can be tagged in multiple subjects when the tutor posts his ad and the result is each subject has its own tag page listing only the tutors that teach that particular subject. Simple, isn’t it?
Advantages of Using ACF :: Smart Tags
- SEO friendly – each ad tag page will have relevant listings, hence you can proudly display your ad tags in widgets, menus, etc!
- Limited number of tags – The maximum number of tags is the sum total of all the value in the fields you convert to tags
- No misspellings, hashtags or unnecessary mistakes – Since all the tags come from options that you have created, no need to remove spammy tags every few days
- Perfect auto-suggest in ClassiPress search – Since ClassiPress only suggests search terms based on existing ad tags, your site looks professional and does not show junk
Please read the FAQs carefully before making your purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to remove the “Tags Input” text field from my forms?
Yes, the plugin will add its own tags, so the text field for tags will not work anyway.
- How do I remove the “Tags Input” text field?
You can remove the field from ClassiPress -> Form Layouts page in WP admin dashboard.
- I have too many form layouts. Is there a quicker way of removing it?
Yes, you can use our Advanced Custom Fields for ClassiPress (ACFCP) plugin to hide any field from all forms at once as long as it is not a required field. You can do much more with the plugin, click the link above to find out!
- Will this plugin automatically convert fields to tags on existing ads?
Not until they are edited or re-listed. This will only affect the ads added, changed, or re-listed after the plugin is installed.
- I see more than one plugin with the “ACF” prefix, are they related?
Yes. The ACF :: Smart Tags plugin is part of the ACF family of which the main plugin, Advanced Custom Fields for ClassiPress (ACFCP) allows you to add tie user profile fields up with ad custom fields by letting you add new fields to the registration/profile form where you can gather essential user data and have it saved into their ads. Basically you can inherit field options from ClassiPress custom fields directly into registration/profile forms, and in turn populate the Post Ad/Edit Ad forms with data from the user profile! Plus there are tons of options to control how the any profile or ad custom field works, and many display options for both. That’s not all, there are two more plugins in the family. ACF :: Privacy will let you conditionally display profile fields only for certain user roles and ACF :: Hyperlink will let you display any field as a link with custom content and attributes!
- So, does this plugin require ACFCP to work?
Not at all! The ACF :: Smart Tags plugin does not require ACFCP but they work perfectly alongside complementing each other. However, to use ACF :: Privacy and ACF :: Hyperlink plugins, you need ACFCP pre-installed.
- Is it compatible ClassiPress versions older than 3.4?
Yes, it works as far back as ClassiPress 3.2.1. But we do not encourage outdated software, and may not offer support if you are using a version of ClassiPress that is not current.
- Download the Plugin zip file acf-smart-tags.zip
- Open WP Admin dashboard -> Plugins -> Add new -> Upload
Upload and activate the Plugin from Plugins page.
- Go to ClassiPress -> ACF :: Smart Tags page
- Select the fields that you want to convert to tags.
- If you have the Advanced Custom Fields plugin installed, you can even manage your settings from ClassiPress -> ACF Options page -> Ad Fields tab -> Smart Tags sub-tab.
From February 2015, support will only be available via email from our email address .
Before you email us, please make sure you have browsed/searched through product forum for the answer to your question, and have read through the Support FAQs below:
- What kind of support is offered with a purchased product?
Your product purchase includes one year of access to premium support via email and one year or free updates. Beyond that, you will need to renew your subscription year on year for around 30% of the product price. Support covers issues such as bug fixes (if any) under normal operation, how to use basic product features, very basic WordPress help, and help with very basic theme customisaton. If you need more advanced modifications please consider hiring a developer to do it for you.
- Will you provide help with small modifications?
If you need to do small modifications, you may get help from us as long as they are reasonable in number and nature. If you have a lot of such modifications, please consider paid developer help.
- What kind of help would be unreasonable to ask?
This is not an easy question to answer. We are here to ensure that the product you purchased works as intended by us and serves its purpose on your website. That means if it doesn’t work for you, we can step in and help you with it. However, it is when there are no issues with the functioning of the product and all you want is help with modification, that demands start getting unreasonable.
As mentioned before, we don’t mind helping with modifications, but we also expect you to have tried everything to do it yourself. In other words, we expect you to have tried all the settings in your theme, ensured that the issue relates to the product in question, searched through legacy product support forum, and looked around on Google for the answer to your questions before approaching us. Please bear in mind that one theme, one child theme and a few plugins can get you only so far, and you will probably need to make changes to the code of your website to add functionality, change design and personalise it. In case of too many modifications, we will politely ask you to seek paid help.
- I am using one of your child themes. I am having an issue with it.
Please make sure the issue is really with the child theme by activating the parent theme and checking if the problem gets solved. Also please make sure you have tested all the settings in parent theme and child theme, sometimes the answer is right in there! Send us an email if the issue still persists.
- I am using one of your child themes. I need help with customisation.
As a pre-requisite, you are going to need a basic understanding of HTML & CSS to start customising the layout and style of your theme. To dig deeper PHP knowledge, specifically to WordPress, will help as well. The WordPress Codex is a great place to start learning. For CSS changes related to text colour, background colour, fonts, etc, please consider using the Firebug extension. A simple Google search returns many good text/video tutorials.
- Do you offer paid WordPress development services?
Yes we do depending on our work schedule. You can always run your requirements by us via email.
1.0.1 (12/07/2018) FIXES - Fixed PHP notice - Fixed broken links 1.0.0 (11/01/2014) Initial release version (at the time of ClassiPress 3.4)